Purpose and Mission
Matthew 28:19-20 (English Standard Version - ESV)
"19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
The purpose of mission has to do with evangelism and following the "Great Command" found in Matthew 28:19-20. Evangelism takes place in the community as well as throughout the world.
Evangelism Training: We offer periodic basic evangelism training. Our goal is to utilize a number of different evangelism training tools, such as providing courses, seminars, simple witnessing, and learning how to share one’s testimony.
Our next "Share your Faith Workshop" is scheduled for TBD.
Here are some of the ways in which we make contact with people in our community:
- Outreach Ministry/ESL: Our outreach ministry supports an on site ESL (english as a second language) program which brings us in contact with many different nationalities and religious backgrounds. Here they can practice their English, make new friends, and learn about the Christian faith. Volunteer lead classes are for beginners through intermediates. There is a small cost for class book and materials. Free childcare is provided.
- Bridge Events: The primary method we use to impact our community is through a variety of regularly scheduled community-wide events. We call these “Bridge Events” because they are designed to build a bridge between our church and our community. These events are quite large, and include Christmas Eve services, Easter services, Night Light activities for children and families (which is a safe alternative for children at Halloween), Walk Thru Bethlehem, and so on.
- Church Planting: In 1999 TBPC helped plant Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Riverview, FL. It is our belief that the most effective way to penetrate communities and cultures with the gospel of Jesus Christ is through church planting. In addition to our own church planting efforts, TBPC gives sacrificially to church planting in the Presbytery. Currently, we are assisting the planting of a Korean PCA church.
- New Tampa Christian Academy: God has blessed NTCA over the years. The School Board, Administrators, and teachers have been and are gifted and godly.
Some of the ways in which we make contact with people throughout the world:
- Missions Ministry: At present we support about 12 missionaries in various countries. We also regularly send a team on summer missions projects, within the US and, by joining up with MTW, send teams outside the US. Presently, about 10% of our annual budget is given to Missions.